Usability and ROI
Put your hand up if you want to make more money.
If you raised your hand, either physically or mentally, then we’re not surprised. Most people do want to achieve a greater return on their investment. What does surprise us is how most people aren’t making the most out of their website to enable them to do so.
A great website:
- Increases customer loyalty: happy customers are more likely to return to your website, use your service again and recommend it to friends.
- Improves reputation: your website can set you apart from your competitors; the more you stand out, the better your business will do.
- Reduces costs: the easier your website is to use the less you need to invest in customer support.
A bad website:
- Produces dissatisfied, frustrated customers who will leave you site.
- Does not convey services clearly causing potential customers to leave.
- Is difficult to read resulting in customers leaving and looking elsewhere.
So, what’s the missing link between increasing ROI and a great website? Usability testing is key, making your site look pretty will only get you so far.
Usability testing determines the quality of a user’s experience when interacting with your interface, whether that is a website, software application, mobile technology, or something else. It is a powerful method for determining why and when users leave your site, and for identifying changes that are required to improve your site’s performance.
Usability testing can help you:
- Reduce user errors: increasing your user’s success rate creates happy users and helps you to make more money.
- Improve site learnability: a site that is easy to learn and navigate improves customer satisfaction and helps you to make more money.
- Increase user trust: if a user trusts your service they are more likely to use it again helping you to make more money.
- Reduce development costs and time: usability testing can help you get your site right the first time helping you to save money.
So, what about the investment in usability research itself? Still not convinced it’s for you? I’ll leave you with two quotes from some of the best-known usability researchers around.
"If you want a great site you've got to test" Steve Krug Don't Make Me Think
“Data indicate that usability offers a better return on investment than almost any other business action. When times get rough, usability shines. The benefits are huge. Usability is a weapon that can save you money, improve your competitive position, and improve customer loyalty. Now is the time to invest in the research.” John S. Rhodes Usability Can Save Your Company